DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> January 2006


May Logs written by Carol Walsh
May 1, 2007
Rained most of the day. Jason went over safety instructions, like man over board, breach of hull, watch duty. I realized how this could be a life or death situation. Watched 3 movies that day.

May 2, 2007
Spent time getting ready for departure, loads of laundry, last minute showers, taking care of the van. We then went to KeriKeri for internet and some additional shopping. I started to realize that my muscles are starting to ache from getting up and down from the boat to the dingy.

May 5, 2007
We left later than anticipated to start our crossing. We had to do a last minute run to Pahia to take care of some paperwork for the van. We had fabulour weather for our departure which was occompanied by dolphins as we were leaving NZ. The seas were calm. It was my first watch, it was a beautiful sunset and the moon was becoming full. Jason stayed with me for the first 1 ˝ hours to make sure I was ok. I thought to myself this is going to be great!

May 7 & 8, 2007
We have been receiving weather reports from Christian and the weather is not in our favor. He is urging all going to Fiji (abou 10 boats) should go west due to a very large low that might be forming and he estimates it will be on course with our run line. We altered our course. Weather has been good last couple of days, sunsets beautiful, sunrie beautiful. Seas are starting to get larger swells, about 2 meters.

May 9, 2007
Weather report is still the same. During the sunrise I said alittle prayer for protection for all of us. The stars are beautiful as well as the moon. To hear Christian speak it was starting to get me very anxious about the next couple of days. Laurel made peanut soup for dinner, it was fantastic, she is a great cook! We watched a movie this evening. It was good because it got my mind off of the swelling seas outside.

May 10, 2007
Woke up about 5:30am, boat starting to rock a lot and did not get a good night sleep. I felt like I got a work out in my sleep. My muscles were sore! White caps are beginning to form and as the day goes by it is not getting any better but worst. Jason is not getting much continuos sleep, he pops his head up whenever he hears a noise.

May 11, 2007
It was a bad night, the seas continued to get bigger... 15 feet. Could not sleep in the forward cabin, too much noise. It sounded like a recking ball was hitting the boat. I tried sleeping in the lounge area which did not work as well, boat rocking so much you cannot stant. I felt like a rage doll being tossed around. I am too afraid to do watches any longer. I stayed up with Jason until 9:30pm and then tried get some sleep. Laurel is relieving Jason every 4-6 hours. Jason and Laurel continue to comfort me that all is well. Jason harnesses himself in and goes on deck to adjust the sails. The seas swells are now 15-18’ with wind gusts up to 35 nts, I do not know how he does it. In all of this Laurel decides to make beer bread for us and it was delicious but a challenge as flour and ingredients went flying.

May 12, 2007
Weather is still severe. There was a leak in the forward cabin where my clothes are and most are wet. The swells continue to challenge the boat and the people on board. Jason is starting to look so tired as well as Laurel. I do not think any of us are sleeping good. I decided to try the lounge area again, moved my position just in time the miss a block of knives that came off the ledge. I am beginning to think this will never end. We are so small in the middle of a very large ocean. I have stayed below now for about 2 days popping my head up every so often to see if things have changed. Jason and I discussed man over board techniques, in these seas if someone went over there would be no way to save them.

May 13, 2007
Jason never seems to get a break, he was down below today doing engine repair. I can see the discouraged look on Jason’s face as the weather continues to pound on us. Finally we get a break in the seas, it is calm for awhile. Laurel is such a trooper, I could not do what she did, she would stay on watch in the middle of the night, no moon light. She would be all bundled up in her rain gear, reading her book. I took something to sleep at night and occasionally I would hear them talking in the middle of the night as they passed from one watch to another. Whoever thinks this is easy is very very misinformed!

May 14, 2007
The seas are more calm today. I started to do my watches again. I started to read one of my spiritual books, opened a page and it said You are exactly where the Universe wants you to be... fear is your enemy. So very true!

May 15, 2007
Woke up to find ourselves in a squall which continued to be the case for the majority of the day. Laurel and I watched a movie. The evening was beautiful, brillant stars. I sat up top and talked to Jason until about 9:30pm.

May 16, 2007
Saw land about 9:26am. I felt like Columbus seeing land for the first time. It took us until 6:00pm before we entered thru the reef system an anchored for the evening. We had a BBQ of lamb chops and potatoes. It was a good day.

May 17, 2007
Mothers day, woke up to orange juice and champagne. No more rough seas! We were inside the reef system.